Subscribe!

Followers!

Share!

Share |

Facebook!

Friday, January 22, 2010

This crazy week of mine...

It's been quite the week. I'm trying to come up with something witty to start this post with, but nothing is coming to me. I guess I'll just get into it.

On Tuesday I had a really good friend over to watch a movie. As we were going through the movie choices, she mentioned something about boys and instantly our focus switched. We didn't end up watching a movie. Instead we talked for five hours. Mostly about boys. She's going to try and set me up with a few people, including a guy from her mission that lives in Provo. (He thinks I'm cute.) She also has a few other friends that have seen my pictures via her facebook that want her to hook them up with me. I'm game. It was very much fun, and I just needed that girl's night.

The next night was institute. We had about eight quilts to tie, and I helped with one. About the time I needed a break, Pete showed up and I went over to try and teach him how to tie a quilt. He was hopeless and I ended up just finishing off his strand of yarn and talking to him for the rest of the night. He gave me a ride home and I got online. (Because that's what I do.)

Thursday was the day of my date with Pete. I woke up very excited, and couldn't wait for it to start. Somewhere during the time when I was getting ready, I got a phone call from my sister. She had seen on the news that one of my all time favorite teachers had been arrested for sexual misconduct with a student. I don't believe it's true. I've thought about it a lot, and I honestly don't believe it's true. I went onto the news web page and sure enough, there he was along with a brief story. They had a picture of his mugshot, and I kept thinking "This isn't the man I know. He's not smiling, his eyes are dull. This is not him." I credit this man to a large amount of my growth as a person. In an incredibly difficult time in my life when the world around me was threatening to bring me down, he was one who could make me feel like I was a wonderful person. That my life was worth something and that I had so much to give. This news absolutely devastated me.

I began to read some of the comments on this story, growing more and more depressed with each harsh and negative word. I needed to make one of my own. I put a lot of thought into it, and this is what I wrote:

"This man is one of my favorite people. I don't know whether the accusations against him are true or not, but I do know one thing; he does not deserve the hatred and insults he has been receiving in these comments. Do not judge a man that you do not know because of a story that we do not know the end of. That is all I have to say in the matter."

Needless to say, my desire to go on the date was pretty much non-existent after that. But I finished getting ready and went, burying the experience deep. I wanted to enjoy this date, despite the knowledge I now had.

Pete and I went to McDonald's and then to see Avatar. (Great movie!) We sat a little too close to the screen, and my head started to hurt halfway through the three hour movie. I very much enjoyed it, though.

There were a couple times I thought about reaching over and holding Pete's hand...but I realized that I really didn't want to. When the movie was over, my head hurt, and I just wanted to go home. I didn't have patience for that awkward "What now?" scene in the truck outside of my house, so I said:

"Can I have a hug?"

I reached across the seat, hugged him and got out of the car. It might be that I was just upset but I don't think I'm feeling anything special for Pete. I must have been really distracted or unimpressed enough that I didn't even think about the fact that his awesome arms were around me.

I didn't get a hair cut today. I knew I wouldn't have a car (my parents went out of town). I didn't plan that when I had made the appointment. I'll have to make a new one. I'll post before and after pictures.

It was a very busy week, and I'm glad it's coming to a close.

PS This post took me a very long time to write. I was listening to "Bad Romance" by Lady GaGa on repeat, and every time the chorus came on, I felt the need to take my hands off the keyboard and do the dance that is done in the music video. Oh dear. Here it comes again....

3 Thoughts:

Cindi said...

Wow! You did have a crazy week. I hope you have a really great weekend too.

I was very surprised to hear the unfortunate news about that teacher. I too find it difficult to believe. I hope he is innocent and I grieve for his family either way.

Framed said...

I don't read the newspaper so I don't know who you're talking about. But true or not, it's an ugly thing to happen. Good luck with getting set up. I hope you meet some great guys.

Anonymous said...

That was a crazy week; sorry that the date didn't turn out so well.

Mmm... McDs... I haven't had in forever.