Subscribe!

Followers!

Share!

Share |

Facebook!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

How To:

Earlier today, I was feeling really down. But I was determined to change that. We all feel down, here's what I do to make myself feel better.


1. Watch silly, cheesy, feel good movies!


The cornier the better. It reminds you what it's like to laugh, and that things aren't always so serious.

(Optional: Add a fuzzy blanket. Nothing is better than having toasty toes while giggling at teenage girls and swooning over boys playing adolescent jail bait.)

2. Get out of the house!

Even if you only go to the grocery store, it's good to stop hiding away in your room.

I suggest looking halfway decent first. I looked like a slob and was genuinely terrified that Stacy and Clinton were going to apprehend me at any moment.


(Optional: While you're out, go through the drive through and get yourself something sweet. Nothing too big. Don't want to break the diet. But just remind yourself that you deserve a treat. You're a good person. Good people deserve sugar.)

3. Do something with your hands!

Write a blog, clean your room, make your Halloween costume. (I decided to combine all three.)


Doing something with your hands effectively distracts your mind from depressing thoughts. All of your attention is focused on tying that piece of tulle to the ribbon.

When you are finished, you have done something productive with your time, and maybe you'll have made something to be proud of!

(Optional: If you make a costume, another way to brighten your spirits it to play dress up. It is guaranteed to produce a giggle or two.)

4. Remember how blessed you are!

I think so many of us (myself included) are so inclined to focus on the bad in our lives. The things we wish we had. The things we don't have and aren't doing.

It's such a spirit booster when you sit down and think about the blessings you have in your life.

(Optional: Write a list. Like Pringles: "Once you pop, the fun won't stop!" The blessings you have in your life will just keep pouring out onto that list!)

What do you all do when you need a lift?

P.S. Thank you to all of the beautiful people who commented on my blog! You all made me smile. 

11 Thoughts:

Andnowlights said...

Loved this! I was feeling suuuuuuuper sad about the whole job thing the other day, so I just cried it out. Your method of coping is WAY more healthy!

Holly said...

Hey girl- I'm so sorry you're feeling blue. I love all your idea, though. Sometimes, I just leave fun shows like Friends, 30 Rock or The Office on ALL DAY just for "noise" but also for laughs. I also have a list I call "The Magic FIve" where I MAKE myself come up with five things that are going well...sometimes all I can manage before work is a list that starts with, "Well...I'm running on time..." Haha. I hope you feel better soon. This was a GREAT list. Life is tough, but you're tougher. :)

cailen ascher said...

what great suggestions! they would definitely help me on an off day.

happy weekend!

AmberLaShell said...

aww that last bit was so sweet... I have those days too and I find that those silly movies always help,, and some chocolate... :)

Anonymous said...

love it! i hope you made a tutu like that photo suggests.

i do the same thing- if i have a bad day, i neeeed to get out, even just to the grocery store to browse around!

hope your day got better :)

Lauren said...

thank you for putting a link to your blog, people never DO that and so i am lost without new friends! i really do need to buckle down on my halloween costume... ohhh i can't wait!

amy mo said...

I'm so glad you found my blog! I've been on the hunt for new blogs to read, so I can't wait to catch up on your posts :)

And if you love Chuck then let's be best friends. K?

Leigh said...

Good advice!

Unknown said...

I love cheesy movies! If you like Sleepover, you should check out Taking Five. It is outrageous.

a girl with a smile said...

great advice, thanks

Anonymous said...

Ah, tulle... it looks fun!