Subscribe!

Followers!

Share!

Share |

Facebook!

Friday, October 1, 2010

One Month Left

Last year, I wrote a novel. In one month. But I had a lot of help. I wouldn't have been able to do it without National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo.) 

Well, it's coming up on NaNoWriMo again! In one month! I'm excited!

October is just as important for NaNoWriMo as November, when you actually do the writing. This is the 'prep month.' You work on plot outlines, character names, and for me, covers and maps. 

Being the Photoshop obsessed girl I am, this is always my second priority in October. Seeing the images helps me visualize the adventure that will unfold in my novel. 

I finished my images to the best of my abilities at this early stage.


 Here is the current cover! I am very excited about how it turned out!


It will be a companion novel to the novel I wrote last year, Sacrifice.

So I expanded the area of map that wasn't explored in Sacrifice and will be using it as the map in my 2010 project. 

(Sacrifice Map)

(2010 Project Map)

The ideas are turning in my head and I'm so excited to explore this story and see where it takes me.

I also made a cover for my friend Alex (a fellow NaNo-er). 


If you are interested in NaNoWriMo, join HERE! It's free, and a lot of fun (and hard work). 

My username is Kate Weber! Add me as a writing buddy!

19 Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I still really like the cover!

And those maps are fantastic! :-)

Randa said...

I love NaNoWriMo! I always want to do it but never have enough "free time" in November to pull off an entire novel. Good for you to be able to finish! And your graphics are so amazing!

Holly Swaney said...

Wish I could write a novel in a month... I've been working on my book since October of 2003.

Plum said...

Fun, fun, FUN! Maybe it'll inspire me to get past chapter 13 in the novel I was working on. I looove the cover and summary for sacrifice! The book I'm working on is also about a girl born to be a sacrifice. Maybe that says something disturbing about us... haha?

I'm joining! And I look forward to reading your books! Though I will hold off until I get further in mine; being that they have their very general concept in common I wouldn't want to turn into a subconscious plagiarist. xP

Leigh said...

I would love to do something like this, but it would have to be during a break from school. There's no way I could even begin to attempt writing an entire novel with all of this other stuff crammed in my head!

Someday...

Good luck!

lalalalauren said...

Cool covers!

I've never done NaNoWriMo. I'm toying with the idea of doing it this year. After all, I've always wanted to write a novel but have never had the discipline. We shall see what happens.

daniela said...

That. Is. In-freakin-credible! A REAL novel in a MONTH?! So very cool.

Since i have the attention span of a puppy, there's no way i could pull this off. However i would LOVE to read your book. And last year's.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about the progress!

AFon said...

Your Photoshop skills are impressive and i'm going to check out NaNaWriMo it sounds like a good challenge!

Letters-Unsealed
SuckyPeopleSuck

Marta said...

Thats an outstanding idea, so interesting! Id love to join the projetc but i have no ideas on what to write about whatsoever...

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Came by from 20 something bloggers. Love the look of your blog so decided to become a follower.

Marie

The Things We Find Inside

Brenda said...

Yes! NaNoWriMo! Always wanted to try, but I've never been able to find anyone to participate with me! Hope you don't mind if I follow you for motivation. :P

PS: I love your blog. From what I can tell, you are an awesome ball of spunk.

Unknown said...

Wow! Talk about a motivator! Congratulations on your novel-in-a-month! Fantastic. I've tried for the last few years to attempt to participate in NaNoWriMo but haven't been successful. I have also been trying to complete about four novels that I've started during the past ten years. My attention span is shortening by the hour I think! But you, Simply Kate, have inspired me to put forth a better effort this November because you have proven it can be done. A novel-in-a-month....WOW! Great job! Can't wait to read them (I know you finish your second too!)

Blogs said...

this is awesome...best wishes...i couldn't nearly get enough time to do this but sounds amazing:) have a good one!

ericka @ alabaster cow said...

Love the cover! And when you're done with NaNoWriMo do you mind writing mine?? K, thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

YES! To another NaNoer... Just added you as a writing buddy.

I'm one of those people who don't actually do prep work for the novel. I found the time I actually did prep work, the novel failed. Well, except for last year, but that prep work was more so i didn't forget the awesome ideas that hit me prior to Nov.1.

Leigh said...

I've given you an award. Come check it out!

Little Scarf Girl said...

Nice covers! :) And good luck! I love writing stories, myself, but I've never done NaNoWriMo. But I will admit, the only novel (in recent years) that I successfully finished was due to me forcing myself to sit down and write every day.

Toni Tralala said...

The cover is amazing! It looks like something I'd see on the shelves at a bookstore. :)

I found you on 20 Something Bloggers.

Congrats on the novel, by the way. :)

Lorraine said...

That untitled cover is quite eye catching.

I've never stuck to a NanoWriMo. Fail me. Maybe this year?

Lor